Are you wondering what students get out of being a part of the Metro Vancouver Sustainability Toolbox? Check out these top 8 reasons to apply and what past participants had to say about their experience!
1) Reconnect with nature and spend time learning outside
I fell in love with the place, spending time outside… the cool stream, the icy waterfall, the starry sky, free from light pollution… so secluded, so perfect!”
2) Make long-lasting friendships with like-minded youth leaders from across Metro Vancouver
I am grateful for all of the wonderfully amazing people I have met. MVST has given me lifelong friends that I can rely on.”
3) Explore the concept of sustainability, systems thinking and different topics such as waste, water and food through field experiences in the Metro Vancouver area
I learned what sustainability is and how it relates to what we are trying to accomplish. Sustainability is taking what you need while still leaving resources for future generations to survive and thrive. Everything is related in a complex, interconnected web of the earth and us. The environment, animals, food, water, all of our basic needs are branches under this sustainability umbrella.”Anonymous MVST Participant
4) Work on an action project or start your own initiative to have a positive impact on your school community
I listen to my peers and hear great school sustainability successes. Now when I look at my school, instead of seeing failure, I see opportunity for positive change to happen. And for me to play a role as a leader to make that change happen.”
5) Gain outdoor skills and experiences like paddling and camping
The canoe trip was so much more than paddle strokes… it was intentional curriculum and taught leadership and teamwork… instead of telling us what these skills are and giving us examples, we experienced it and take away the learning to apply it to the world.”
6) Gain confidence and develop important skills like leadership and team work skills
I learned that I have the capability to be a leader when I am encouraged by a group of like-minded peers. Also I learned that everyone has different strengths and weaknesses; it’s important to hone those skills and make them beneficial to the team. MVST taught me that working together makes big changes happen and how we are able to tighten those bonds to form a strong team.”
7) Try New Things and Step Outside of Your Comfort Zone
A lot of times I’ve managed to surprise myself with what I was able to accomplish, and I would have never known those capabilities unless I had taken on those challenges despite the doubts….
I believe I was able to recognize an area of improvement where I could play a role in the larger movement of environmental sustainability in Metro Vancouver, and had some success in bridging the gaps between some of the circles involved in environmental sustainability.”
8) Join a supportive network of fellow passionate peers and adult-allies working in the field, and become a part of the Youth4Action and MVST network for life!
I am grateful for meeting so many wonderful and amazing people. My circle expanded so much and I was able to bond with MVST participants and leadership team; my network grew and I am so happy that these people came into my life.”
Still have questions about MVST? Get in touch with us at email@example.com.
Applications to join the next cohort can be found at: